National Library “Sts. St. Cyril and Methodius”
National Library “Sts. St. Cyril and Methodius” is the oldest cultural institution after the Liberation of Bulgaria and the largest public library in the country. It is located in the city center next to the Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski”. The library has existed since 1879, but its building at that time was destroyed during the bombing of Sofia in 1944 and it had to be rebuilt. The new building was officially opened in 1953, and 10 years later its name was changed from “Vasil Kolarov” to “St. St. Cyril and Methodius”- the very well-known two brothers who created the Cyrillic alphabet, the basis of all Slavic scripts. The library’s fund consists of 7 808 928 library units.
Tel: +359 2 918 3101
Working hours: Mon – Fri 9:00 – 18:30
Sat: 9:00 -13:00