National Art Gallery is housed in the former Royal palace in the center of Sofia. Founded in 1948 as a successor of the Sofia City Art Gallery, from which it receives a lot of exhibits. The National Art Gallery is then accommodated in the Palace during 1952. It offers to its visitors several permanent exhibitions: 150 works depicting the history of Bulgarian art from the Renaissance to the 1960s are exhibited on the second floor of the Palace. Permanent sculpture exhibition is situated on the third floor. Samples of the Bulgarian iconography are exposed in the crypt under “Alexander Nevsky“ Cathedral. Temporary exhibitions of contemporary Bulgarian artists, curatorial projects, visiting exhibitions are also presented in.