Cathedral “Alexander Nevsky” is located in the very heart of Sofia in the square bearing the same name.The temple is dedicated to Alexander Nevsky who is patron of the Russian Emperor Alexander II, proclaimed a saint by the Russian Orthodox Church. The name given to the church is an expression of the gratitude of Bulgarians towards Russia, for its help rendered in the country’s liberation from Ottoman rule. The temple was built in 1912 and sanctified in 1924. “Alexander Nevsky” is an impressive nave cross basilica in Neo-Byzantine style with many golden domes. The interior of the temple is richly decorated with beautiful icons and frescoes, the floor is covered with magnificent marble mosaic and ornaments are made of onyx, alabaster and colored marbles brought from worldwide. The cathedral was one of the Hundred national historic sites in Bulgaria and certainly is worth a visit.